EveryLibrary’s vision is that “Any library funding challenge anywhere should matter to every library everywhere”. Our mission is to “Build Voter Support for Libraries”. Our organizational value system is rooted in access, inclusivity, and empowerment and is expressed by being politically active about funding and policy.
EveryLibrary’s ongoing Organizational Agenda includes six key strategic priorities:
- We will invest in local library communities that are going on the ballot to renew or extend their basic taxpayer approved funding and cultivate opportunities for librarians who want to enhance services and facilities through municipal budgets or voter-approved measures.
- We will join and support coalitions that align with the mission of libraries as institutions, that promote and extend the rights and prosperity of the people our libraries serve, and protect the rights, employment and pensions of the people who work in all types of libraries.
- We will continue to build a unique and extensive network of Americans who believe in the power of libraries to change lives and build communities, and who are ready to become advocates and activists for libraries.
- We will support the role of library boards and commissions in governing libraries, making policy, and setting budgets that are responsive to diverse local priorities and create inclusive, prosperous, and vibrant communities.
- We will continue to broaden our focus beyond Public Library funding and speak in support of School Library programs as effective solutions for some of the biggest problems facing schools and districts around the country. We will assist our colleagues in Academic Libraries who need institutional support from their administrations and students.
- We will be a leader and a listener in a national discussion about the role that public, academic, and school libraries have in people’s lives, and work within the profession and across civil society to find the best ways to preserve, protect, and extend everyone’s right to use libraries.
Every day, we reach out directly to Americans across social media, through our Action platform, and on the SaveSchoolLibrarians.org channels to ask people to support libraries and librarians. To do this effectively, we need your help. If you believe that there should be a politically active organization that is uniquely focused on pro-library elections and funding for libraries, please donate today. If you believe that every town, city, and county should have the best library possible, please consider starting a monthly or annual donation to help us fulfill our mission together. Contact EveryLibrary executive director John Chrastka to discuss opportunities for corporate donations and sponsorship.